Sunday, February 5, 2012

"Videogames, Avatars, and Identity" Response


After reading “Videogames, avatars, and identity” I started to get flash backs to when I played video games when I was a child. I never really got obsessed with them as the author explained he did, not getting any sleep and just have his mind race as he thought about he can play the game better or what he can improve on. In his essay he mentioned Pac-man and Nintendo and other systems created as technology improved when the years passed by. When I thought about it I do remember playing the first Nintendo that ever came out I remember my brother was obsessed with that game system and he would sometimes let me and my sister play once in a while.

                There was a time in my life though were I got into video games a little more than usual and for my twelve birthday I asked my parents for the Gameboy SP in which they did get for me. When I look back the only reason I got the game was because my friend had one and she had a Sim’s game in which I really liked playing. My friend would let me play all the time with her avatar that she created. When I think about that avatar it actually was not similar to her at all she designed an avatar that was a complete opposite to her. Although she did spend a lot of time playing that game, I also started to notice that she got more and more Sim games she even got one for her computer. Time did go by and she eventually grew out of that face but I did notice that she invested so much time into that specific game. Once I got the Gameboy I got a couple of games with it but for a reason I didn’t get the Sim’s game I don’t remember why but I guess I also grew out of that face.

                There was one time were I did created an avatar and it was for the Nintendo Wii, I was with my friend (the same one with the Sim obsession) at her house and her mom had gotten a Wii for her younger sister. They asked me and my sister if we wanted to play we said yes so they set it up so my sister and I can make our own avatar to play with. One thing I do remember was the process being so long. It took me especially a long time to create my avatar because I wanted to create something that resembled my features. I looked carefully and the type of face I had and the type of nose I had what types of curly hair there was the mouth types they had and lastly what types of eyes that resembled me. I got so into it that when I did finish my avatar it actually looked like me and I was so proud of it.

1 comment:

  1. Letty,
    I remember when I was younger my little brother and I were completely obsessed with Nintendo as well. He would spend countless hours playing video games that my mom would have to force him out of his room just so he would go and do something more productive. Thankfully that never happened to me since he’d always want to play it himself. For a long time I wanted the Wii just so I would be able to entertain myself with the workouts and the different games that came along with it. My nephew got it and he also had to create an avatar for a game but instead gave my brother the option to do it. He too, just like you, made his avatar resemble himself in every manner, from head to toe. Its incredible how the technology has advanced so much that we are all able to create avatars that do or do not resemble us.

    ReplyDelete